Thursday, January 3, 2008

More Selling

One of the many things to do in sales is to increase sales from the previous years. No one is happy with doing less or the same. As a salesman, you are in charge of doing better. That is one of the reasons I like sales. If I want to make more money, I need to do better. One of the reasons there are so many people that go into sales and get out quickly is that you have to manage the person that is most difficult to manage, yourself. You must manage your time and work. Typically you don't have anyone tell you that you have to be at the office at a certain time and then punch out at the end of the day. You have to work, on your own. You will be measured each year whether or not you increase sales. So, each year you have to get better at what you do. That is very tough for people that can't manage themselves. Yes, there are benefits to the profession of selling. When you are at lunch or breakfast with a customer and they let you know that they need to go to or back to work, you can let them know that you are working, even during lunch. So, why would they want to stop a person from working?


Another thing about sales is that you have to learn who you are. Believe it or not, the better you understand yourself, the better you will do. Try to understand who you are at the core. There are many types of personalities in sales. Why would there be only one type of personality of salesman? Customers are different and salesmen are different. To really succeed, understand who you are. One of the little sayings that I have on my wall is by, I believe, Thomas Jefferson, and states "Do not prostitute self-respect in an attempt to get people to like you."


I had forgotten about mentioning all the little quotation gems I have on my wall until it was suggested to me by my boss. I had to say "boss" because he enjoys that term so much. Jim really doesn't like that term, but I use it. I mean, why would I change who I am?

No comments: