Saturday, January 5, 2008

Companies

I have worked for a few companies. I mentioned my little quotations on my wall. There is one that I really like by Thomas Jefferson. It is a political statement but it can actually be applied to businesses too.

"Through my study of history, I have determined most bad government comes from too much government."

That statement applies to businesses also. How many companies have you seen or worked for that create their own problems? They create too much overhead? Companies should be well run. As companies get bigger, they do need to add certain jobs or positions. It is a necessary function of getting bigger. It is not that new positions are really created. It is that you have a specific job for a person as opposed to letting someone else in the organization handle it as a double duty. When a business starts off as a very small company, the owner may be the billing clerk, receivables clerk, secretary, purchaser, human resources manager, warehouse manager, shipping clerk, forklift operator... you get my drift. But as the company gets bigger there is a need for all of those specific positions. The statement as applied to business is meant to stop too much organization. Yes, when someone owns a business, there is a responsibility to exceed the minimum standards as set forth by laws or rules. The tricky balance is to reflect and determine if it is necessary. Some things may not be.

So, the basic question is, how is your business run?

No comments: