Friday, January 4, 2008

Designing, I think

I am not a computer genius. I have a fun time with them and use them for many purposes. Yesterday I bought a program that I have just been having fun with. It is Floor Plan 3D Version 8. It is a program for home design. I plotted the first house on the screen. The rooms were nice and large. A wide selection of doors were installed throughout the house. Designed the kitchen and realized after putting in the refrigerator, stove and dishwasher that there was nowhere for the sink. I kept trying to figure out where to put it. POOF. Error message. Dangit. Everything was lost. At least there was no need for me to delete it myself, the computer took care of it. Would I like to send an error report? No, I think not.

OK, on to house number two. Another fine example of my blooming architectural skills. It had a slightly different design. But the rooms were still large with high ceilings. I even made room for a kitchen sink. The master bedroom was fantastic. It had two large closets. There were also two bathrooms. Spare bedrooms were absolutely perfectly designed. I started to marvel at my work, you know, just to fine tune it a bit. The master bedroom, as beautiful as it was, had no door to get in. Dangit. POOF. Error message. Would you like to send an error report? Send. Thank you.

Now onto house three. I hit the save button so many times I think I wore out that corner of the screen, but there were no error messages. Nothing disappeared. Four hours later, after picking the colors of the walls, putting in outlets, fans, vents, a fireplace, windows, furniture and light switches, I take my virtual tour of my grand design. I hurry to get my little feet outside to enjoy the view from the picket fence. That's funny, I don't remember a gap between the ceiling height and the exterior wall. Not a big deal, I will just walk through the inside. I noticed that most of the light switches and plus seemed a little too far away from the wall and it looked like there were five in some spots. I guess it will just take more practice and no architect has to worry about me wanting their job.


I do have a better appreciation of why things seem to be wrong on plans sometimes now. I did not buy the program because I want to be an architect and this program really wouldn't even slightly prepare me for such. But it is a nice way to think and to see a project start and finish on the screen without me really messing it up in the real world.

Also, there is no real point to this story.

1 comment:

Susannah said...

Interesting writing.