Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Versatility

It is great to be versatile in your job. Often times there seem to be employees that find a way to get out of something by saying something to the effect that it is not their job. I find that people that say or think that to get out of doing something always seem to be stuck. They are not just stuck in their job but in life. Versatility is one of the keys to succeed. If you take on a little more responsibility or even doing something less than "your job" because it needs to be done then you are looked at as someone that is wanting to do better. If you have a carpenter that never wants to be cleaning behind himself or even sign for materials because he doesn't want the responsibility of signing for it, then it is all he will be. However, if he wants to be a foreman and shows a little initiative by helping pushing a small crew then you start seeing him in a different light. The same goes with if there is not much to be done and there needs to be a little clean up, outside the area he is working, and he does it or even starts it on his own then you can appreciate his work ethic.


In sales you have to be versatile to handle all the day to day issues that come up. You may not be running the roads all day. Even when on the road you have to adjust priorities. Instead of looking at helping those that support you as a nuisance, look at it as a great opportunity to see a different aspect of what is being done to help you. They do a job that you may have done and you should remember the hard work that it takes to do that job.


When I am in the office for a time to help handle the work then I have to do something besides calling on job sites and offices. I am happy to be productive on the inside for a while. I get to see many people that come in here. I also get to appreciate what it takes to run the inside. It is a nice reminder of what I have done many times before. One of my favorite things to say when a customer picks up something that I will have to load out of the warehouse after I have typed the ticket is "I'll have the warehouse guy load you up.". I then go back to the warehouse and load the customer's truck. Those that know me smile when I get back there. When I get back there for people that don't know me, they try to figure out if I am the same person that just typed their ticket.


It is nice to be versatile.

No comments: