Tuesday, December 11, 2007

How much does it cost?

That was the question. My answer was a simple "I didn't think it mattered if it worked." I had no clue what my cost was or what I should sell it for. But I did get the order. It was a new product that I saw and understood the concept of how it should work. I even understood how to install it and the benefits it provided by being familiar with similar products. I took the nice packaging and showed the many components that were neatly arranged inside the box. He liked it so far. From there it was onto the job site for some practical application. Great, more time for me to read up on it so I don't look like a complete fool. I showed the customer how the product was used at the job site and how it did many wondrous things for what he needed. It actually worked. I had done my job and impressed the customer. "How much does it cost?" Well, you know my answer and he agreed with me. I did have to make sure that it did not fall into an unreasonable amount because yes, price really did matter even if it worked. We both knew that it was not going to be too much. I also told him that I would call him back and let him in on the big secret of price. I mean, I had to learn it too.

Moral of the story is that sometimes a good answer may get you the business or if you have a new product try to find out the monetary aspects before trying to sell it.

No comments: