Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Meeting People

I was having a discussion with a customer one evening after a meeting in one of the organizations I belong to and he said, one of the problems that the organization has, is that very few there are politically active. After a little better explanation, I understood that he did not mean that we should run for office, but that our representative should know our name. We as individuals should be known to the people representing us. We should not call them just when there is an issue that pertains just to our individual needs, when there is a problem, but at other times to say we support or disagree with something they have done or may do. We should take time to fill out their surveys no matter how inane they may sound. It is a way of giving feedback to the politician. While he may not be the one actually reading responses, someone is keeping track of it. Yes, it will create more junk mail but it is a way to be heard. Another way to be seen and heard is to take the time to go to political type meetings. You can listen, interact or be confrontational. If you see the politicians walking door to door or at meetings, take the time to introduce yourself. They most likely won't remember you next time, so remind them of that each time you see them until they do. This can not succeed overnight. It will take time, maybe years. Think of how politicians are. Don't you want to have them take care of the issues you support? If you complain about them, then get involved with them. Whatever you do you are participating in the process.

I thought of this while at another meeting tonight. It was the Bastiat Society meeting. It was filled with bright, intelligent, friendly people. As I was there, I also remembered something I put in my blog in a previous entry, I had ample opportunity to give my 20 to 30 second blurb about what I sell and the company I work for.

Another thing that I noticed at the meeting, and it is one of the things that made it so enjoyable, even though it is the first meeting that I attended, is that nearly everyone there took the time to introduce themselves and made me feel welcome. I remember other places that I have visited or attended, and no one took the time to make me feel welcome. How often do you go anywhere and you do not feel welcome or like you are wanted? Does it make you want to go back? If it is a business, does it make you want to spend money there again and again? I am guessing not. So, if you are in an organization, church or business, do your best to make others want to come back and help your business grow. It will be beneficial.

No comments: