Wednesday, April 16, 2008

LEED

What is LEED? Leadership in Energy and Enviromental Design.

I wanted to write about this topic but realized that I do not know enough about it. It is talked about frequently by architechts, owners and manufacturers. I went to the USGBC, US Green Building Council, website. I started to research and read about LEED and its rating system for new construction. There are 3 versions right now, Versions 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2. Version 2.2 is the most current. They have a link to find a local chapter. There is one in South Carolina. North Carolina has two that I see, one in Charlotte and one in the Triangle area.

I have learned some things about the LEED process over the past couple of years. I have read some about it also. I have found that there are some added initial costs to buildings in some aspects. There are actually some savings in others. After reading more about it, I have concluded that I do not know near enough. I think there are some long term savings in going with many of its ideas and building designs. Some things, to me, just make sense. Feel free to look at any of the links and judge for yourself if you wish to reasearch it. I think that we will all need to know more about it as time progresses and I think it is better to have more knowledge sooner rather than later.

No comments: