Tuesday, February 12, 2008

How are you viewed?

I have been trying different Churches lately. No, this little essay will not be about religion, but it is about what people like. There are some with many people and others with not so many. Churches come in all shapes, sizes and denominations. While sitting in a different Church this past weekend, I thought about how I am seen as a salesman for my company and what it is I like about the places I buy from. Just like Churches, we buy from a wide variety of places. It seems like the places that are the biggest are the places where I have to find one person that I can deal with. In the larger companies as a whole, there is one person you can trust. The rest of them have no idea how all the parts come together. It seems in the smaller companies like most, if not all of the employees, know their position in the wheel and know all the other spokes by name. It seems that they are the ones that can always find the information for me when I am buying. Where I work is like the small company. Branches are smaller than some or most of our competitors, but we know most everyone in the company, as spread out as we are. When I go into a big box store, I have to search for everything myself. I must search aisle after aisle to find the product I am looking for. There are few people in the big store that can answer a question about whatever it is I am buying, but they can tell me how much it costs and tell me where to find a buggy, if I am lucky. So, I really prefer the smaller, more personal touch of a store that will accommadate me and answer questions that I may have. If they do not know an answer, I feel certain that they will find out and let me know. They are concerned about the success of their business, just like I am, and that is how I want to be viewed.

1 comment:

Susannah said...

And it is true with hospitals, too. I felt that I learned the most when I worked in a small hospital because I had to do "everything." In a big hospital, I know and do only a tiny part. That can be frustrating and lead to a lot of speculation or distrust of the big system. But I do like a big church. You can always find your niche in one.