Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Msitakes

Okay. Mistakes is the actual title but you get the point. As discussed earlier in the previous post, mistakes happen. Sometimes it happens because you trust someone to recommend a product that you want to make sure that it works on a particular problem.



I had a situation where I thought a repair product would work that I was familiar with. I called the manufacturer of the product to double check and they said that I should really use another product, although slightly more expensive. The product I was thinking of could work but the newer less known product was a better recommendation. It did not seem to be a problem to me so I asked for a sample bag. Four days after I was supposed to get it, it arrived. I spent a good part of the morning explaining to the customer how it worked. Explained and demonstrated the right mixing procedures. Even helped to put some on as part of the demonstration. Bottom line is that it did not work as well as advertised. The product was not a bad product but it just really should not have been used in that application. I came back the next morning with the product I wanted to use to begin with that "could have" worked. The customer preferred the product and bought some for the job even though it was less expensive. (funny joke about sales there) I had not made the mistake but did correct the problem by being forthright and telling the customer that I would let him try the other product the next day after figuring out that the other product did not work as well.



Long lesson on this one but one learned in a day for this product and this is just one of the examples that happen through the course of time.

No comments: